This mussels recipe is extremely basic. Only 8 components (butter, shallots, garlic, red pepper flakes, wine, mussels, lemon juice, and parsley).
For majority of my adulthood I only ordered mussels at a restaurant right up until I identified how effortless they are to make at home, not to mention quick and tasty!
Plus let’s be truthful, cooking any sort of shellfish at home can be a small intimidating at initial. Even so with just few simple tricks, you’ll be producing these in no time!
This mussel recipe is extremely straightforward. Only 8 ingredients (butter, shallots, garlic, red pepper flakes, wine, mussels, lemon juice, and parsley). You need a shallow big skillet and fresh mussels.
Right now, I’m using PEImussels. Prince Edward Island mussels are the #1 selling fresh mussel in North America. They are sustainable, affordable, and you can discover them just about anyplace.
When you get your mussels property, you want to shop and clean them appropriately before steaming. Mussels need publicity to air to survive. Never ever shop mussels in water. It will destroy them.
TO Store FRESH MUSSELS:
- take away from plastic bag, container, or mesh bag
- place in a big bowl
- damp couple sheets of paper towel and cover the bowl
- keep in the refrigerator for couple days (I typically like to cook my mussels exact same day or the following day)
- they need to smell fresh, just like the ocean
TO CLEAN FRESH MUSSELS:
- remove the mussels from the refrigerator and location into a colander
- rinse and scrub the mussels beneath cold water, attempting to eliminate as much of the stringy bits clinging to the outside as attainable (p.s. mussels naturally near and open their shells when exposed to water…so don’t freak out )
- leave in colander to drain as you get started getting ready your recipe
TO STEAM FRESH MUSSELS:
- Melt butter above medium heat in a big shallow skillet. Include shallots, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Cook two-three minutes or until the garlic is fragrant and shallots begin to soften.
- Add wine and increase the heat to a medium-substantial to carry to a simmer.
- Add mussels, cover with a lid, and allow the mussels steam for 5-7 minutes or right up until they have opened up. Cooking time depends on the strength of heat, how much liquid you use, and the quantity of mussels.
- Add juice of one lemon, give the mussels a great stir, and cook for one-2 minutes longer, uncovered right up until all shells have opened.
- Transfer the mussels to a serving bowl, along with the cooking liquid. Discard any mussels that are still closed.
- Sprinkle with parsley, salt, to taste, and garnish with additional lemon wedges. Serve with crusty bread, if preferred (but so advisable!)
What I enjoy about this mussels recipe is that it’s versatile. You can serve these steamed mussels as an appetizer, light primary dish with crusty bread on the side, or toss the mussels with your preferred cooked pasta for a heartier meal.
But truthfully, the garlic + parsley butter sauce with these mussels is so excellent on its personal that I doubt you’ll need anything at all else, except crusty bread (of course!) and possibly a great crisp glass of wine.
If you consider this Mussels Recipe, don’t fail to remember to depart feedback and a rating.