Photograph by Kate Kosaya
Quiche makes a comforting main dish for a loved ones supper or a casual dinner party. Conserve time by creating and baking the wholesome Basic Pie Pastry (linked in Phase one) 24 to 48 hours ahead of time. You can even put together the sauted mixture in advance—just refrigerate until finally necessary.
- eight Servings
- two Tbs. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- one one/2 cups thinly sliced mushroom caps
- 3 cups firmly packed little one spinach
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 3 huge eggs
- one cup milk, entire or decreased-unwanted fat
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- one/4 tsp. salt
- one 1/two cups grated Gruyere cheese
one. Prepare Basic Pie Pastry, and set aside to rest 10 minutes. Grease 9&1/2-inch deep-dish pie pan. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Roll pastry into twelve-inch circle between two sheets of wax paper or plastic wrap. Peel off top sheet invert pastry above pie pan. Peel off 2nd sheet, then tuck pastry into pan without stretching it, pinching overhang into an even edge. Chill 15 minutes. Smooth sheet of aluminum foil over pastry (it ought to match like a glove) fill with dried beans or rice. Bake 20 minutes. Remove pan from oven lift foil with beans from pan. Making use of fork, pierce pastry six or 8 occasions. Minimize oven to 375F, and bake 7 minutes. Amazing on wire rack. Depart oven on.
To make Filling:
3. Heat oil in huge skillet above medium heat. Include onion, and cook, stirring, 5 minutes. Add mushrooms cover, and cook three to four minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in spinach and garlic cover, and cook 2 to three minutes, or until spinach is wilted.
4. Lightly whisk eggs in mixing bowl. Whisk in milk, mustard, pepper and salt.
five. Sprinkle 1/4 cup grated cheese more than bottom of pastry. Bake two to three minutes to melt cheese.
6. Spread vegetable mixture in pastry shell. Sprinkle with half of remaining cheese. Slowly pour in egg mixture, then sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake forty to 45 minutes, or right up until golden brown and slightly puffy. Transfer to wire rack, and allow great 15 minutes ahead of serving.